Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Heart over head.

I almost surprise myself at how together I am about 95% of my friends graduating this term while I'm still stuck in school this summer.

Sure, I've complained about having "no friends" this summer. But it was more like "I'll be so bored!" rather than a tragic "this is the end" type of complaining.

Trying to console a more emotional friend tonight made me think though.

Does the end of this chapter signify an end to the close friendships that have developed over the years? Should I be more worried than I am?

In my mind, the end of university didn't mean the end of friendships, but now I feel like maybe I'm missing something. My brain is asking me to be concerned.

I've been told to make new friends-- and I took that to be half-joking, and half-just telling me to find people to hang out with in the same city as me rather than moping about needing to be here while my friends are elsewhere. Not as an indication that my friends are actually leaving me behind with the school and the city.

And entertaining those types of thoughts are silly and unproductive.

Because while my brain is telling me to overreact, my heart knows my friends (at least the ones I truly care for). And they aren't ones who will leave me behind.

(Not saying it's not sad at all. Because change and the unknown is always at least a bit difficult for me.)

(When summer actually comes-- if it sucks, I still reserve the right to mope and write emo blog entries. Thank you and goodnight.)

No comments: