Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Flash Fiction

At work today, a student came in with an assignment from school to write a Flash Fiction story. I didn't actually even know what it was, but basically it's a very short short with a twist at the end. I decided to secretly give it a go too, partly because I find sixth grade homework fun (apparently) and partly because it's more fun than typing out a pdf.

My story is inspired by the nasty curry I had for lunch in which I found a piece of ginger shaped suspiciously like a finger. It's actually a bit long (it's only supposed to be 100 words)-- but I've already pared it down 50 words.

Mystery Meat

"You cut too smoh! Customa comprain! Must eat eet all!"

"Aiya, big enough, la!"

He chopped the pieces bigger now though, slicing with the white grain of fat-lines, each chunk subsequently seared in a nearby pan. The heavy bones, he pushed into a grubby garbage bag.

"Curry done yet?"

It was. The pot bubbled, thick and coloured by the fragrant yellow powder with a smattering of bright vegetables. In slid the meat, bobbing momentarily before sinking into the mixture.

The scowling woman ladled it into styrofoam containers of steamy white rice.

The last box was consumed by a hungry businessman after work, considering himself lucky to find such a cheap meal-- what a deal!

It was dark now and the perfect time for the last step. The woman hastily checked the garbage bag.

"Good," she nodded as the two silhouettes carried the loot into the night, "deedun fohget hees head. Teach heem cheat on me!"

No comments: