Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mortification at its finest

This week is our church's annual Vacation Bible Camp. It's always a really great time with adorable and energetic kids and something I look forward to every year.

This year, kind of by accident, I somehow became a part of the drama team.
I can not act. But the kids can't tell good acting from bad, really. And dressing up as a princess is kind of my calling in life.

After the skit was over this morning, I race downstairs to change out of my shimmery blue gown and wash off the makeup. The handicap bathroom seemed like the best option because of its privacy and adequate space. I guess I was in a really big hurry and didn't shut the door properly because (as my luck and timing would have it) as soon as I had the gown off and was in nothing but my underwear, the door swings wide open and a ten year old boy bursts in.

I scream. Loudly.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! PLEASSSEEEE CLOSE THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He shuts it and I lock it immediately, leaning back against it, hovering in my own private mortification for a few moments before going back to changing into regular clothes. Then, mustering up as much dignity as possible, I open the bathroom door and stride out.

The boy's group is sitting nearby having their snack and as I walk past, he peeks his head out at me and smiles the most adorable cheeky smile that I just can't help but laugh a bit despite myself!

(Later, I apologized for not locking the door properly and for screaming at him! But he was quite gracious about it really. Nothing was mentioned and his friends didn't seem to know about it and he didn't act all weird around me. So I'm lucky I guess, but I'm pretty sure I'm still scarred for life. )

No comments: