Thursday, April 26, 2007

indignant

I was going to make an entry on my recently updated "summer goal" list. But recent events have caused me the need to discuss one of my pet-peeves, if only to relieve myself from this swelling pocket of indignation in my chest.

Two things that rub me the wrong way:

1. When people suggest in a manipulative manner that I do something. It's as if they assume that i am either too stupid to see through their ridiculous tactics or that I need people to 'trick' me into doing things. I am not a child that needs to be bribed with candy to go to bed. (This annoyance goes hand in hand with that other pet peeve i have of people trying to "teach other people lessons".) It's condescending and rude to assume that you 'know better' than someone and that it is your position to be 'getting' them to do things in the way you deem best (unless you have recieved specific permission/respect from this person to do so).

If I want to do something, I will likely do it. If I don't want to, I likely won't.

But if I somewhatly want to do something (or am considering it) and someone treats me like this, I will be strongly pushed in the direction of doing the exact opposite of whatever that person is trying to coerce me into.

2. When people directly order you to do something or imply that you "have to".

"You HAVE to _____!!!"

Actually, no. I don't. Not unless you happen to be an officer of the law or something-- are you?
Seriously- tell me. Who the bloody blank do you think you are?! (that IS directed to someone specific)

It makes me so angry when people act like this. Go ahead and make your own personal rules, but leave me out of them. Especially if you really don't have any authority over me at all and are just acting like a condescending jerk.
Honestly, I really had to hold myself back tonight.

Likewise with number 1, number 2 also generally causes me to do exactly the opposite of what that person is 'ordering' me to do.

--

It isn't that I don't respect anyone and that I don't listen to anyone. It's just that the people who actually do have influence over me know it, because I have told them, or I will actually willingly approach them for advice and do what they say because I do respect them.
And I'm not okay with giving people the impression that treating me in that manner will get them the results they desire.

Whew! End of rant! lol

No comments: