Wednesday, September 10, 2003

something i had to write for english...

It is a rare occasion that one has the privilege of experiencing that tremendous feeling. A feeling that starts as a tingle at the top of your stomach and runs like seeping ink through your body, filling it in such a manner that your insides yearn to burst, yet giving you a sense that you are incredibly small. Wonder.
This privilege came to me during a trip to Alberta a few years ago. I remember it exactly, standing at the edge of Lake Louise with my eyes resting above the horizon, completely mesmerized. At that moment, nothing and no one else existed save for the Rocky Mountains and myself. I was completely overtaken by the vastness of the megaliths before me. Rock, white and jagged, stretched my eyes higher than skyscrapers or any human accomplishment. Although still, they shocked me with the power they emitted and the cold splash of realization that human hands could not create such majesty.
Yet the feeling that empowers you is not only strong and serrated, but also soft, like a vast, unending canvas of a great painter that could only be God himself. His brush’s blending so fine that it is difficult to differentiate the peaks from the sky.
This canvas and this power engulfing you could only be described as wonder, a moment in time in which your significance is nothing.

No comments: