Friday, January 23, 2004

study break

The english exam went alright this morning. I decided against writing him a note at the end thanking him for all his enriching teachings and etc because i thought that might be too obviously suck-upish and fake. But i do think i will tell him later that his thesis writing lesson was helpful to me during the exam. Though, of course, i knew how to write a thesis before he spent an hour talking about it while i read a newspaper clipping on the wall beside me.

Not that those skills were very present today as i stared at my exam paper.
"Discuss what the authors portrayed in (2) of the articles given and (1) other work discussed in class regarding choices and the way they affect change." Blink. OkAY, i thought we were doing Hamlet, not MacBeth... that never even crossed my mind as a potential topic and all the Hamlet quotes I had written on my supplementary article sheets did not correspond to this. What a waste of time trying to find stupid connections between the stories/articles.

In the end, i used Closing the Door, Guest something, and Fall on Your Knees to pull some nonsensical thesis out of my ass. I truly believe education today is biased toward those who are politically enriched. I for one, have practically nothing to say about the state of our country, the positives and negatives of our government? none. except how we're lucky to be able to make choices freely. that's it. and most of the articles given being political, i struggled. Therefore, i don't think the exam was really a test of our English skills, but rather, a test of the political knowledge we already had and the ability to form an opinion about something I have no clue about. GR. i need to start watching the news or taking politics or something. Well whatever. I managed to come up with something although it was neither right nor left wing.

okay back to calculus. stay tuned for more rants about the injustices of the public education system. O_o just kidding.

No comments: